Smoked Meats

Monroe Fire Department responded when a motor in a bathroom exhaust fan started a fire at John’s Supermarket on Monday morning, Nov. 2, 2020, in Monroe, Ga. No one was hurt.

MONROE, Ga. — A sprinkler system averted what could have been major fire damage at John’s Supermarket.

The Monroe Fire Department and Walton County Fire Rescue were dispatched to a commercial fire at the grocer, at 416 S. Broad St., shortly before 9:15 a.m. Monday.

Monroe fire Battalion Chief Jack Armstrong said the first units to arrive found a fire in a restroom extinguished by the sprinkler system.

“This was a fantastic example of how important fire sprinklers are,” Armstrong said. “What could have been millions in a loss only caused a few hundred dollars of damage.”

He said a faulty motor in the bathroom’s exhaust fan was the cause of the fire.

Armstrong said the store reopened after the danger eased.

John’s recently opened a major renovation of the store, which has been in Monroe for more than 50 years. The grocer opened an in-store restaurant, Bistro South, and added 8,500 square feet.

There are six loft apartments as well.

(1) comment

Joymcka10

I am soo happy to hear the fire was minimal and that they were able to reopen quickly. Great supermarket!! They are very helpful and they really care for their customers!

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.