A builder from Texas wants to put 122 new homes in a previously abandoned development plot off East Church Street.
The project, known as Charleston Manor, would bring Monroe new single-family homes starting at $210,000 each. And while Monroe needs new housing options at an affordable price — but not rental homes — the city is prudent to wait this out for a month.
Councilman David Dickinson moved Dec. 11 to table the matter until this month. That’s a smart choice.
“What we’re trying to do is foster quality development for our citizens who are here and those that are coming,” he said.
Dickinson asked the owner, KFB Enterprises, and builder, LGI Homes, to provide a written plan for porch size, neighborhood covenants and building materials.
“We’re going to need those things in front of us in order to make an intelligent decision,” Dickinson said.
A representative of LGI Homes agreed to provide it.
That’s how the process should work. The council shouldn’t just rubber-stamp any and all requests. We only get one chance to do this right.