When I was a kid, I frequently re-read a book titled “Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day,” in which our titular character has, well, a less than ideal day.

As Alexander navigates the horrors of the day, he laments the lows he’s experiencing and announces several times he may have to avoid future ramifications of the day by moving to Australia.

Well, over the Christmas holidays, I had a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad week and, given the circumstances, no option of moving to Australia would help.

Right after we put out the weekend paper on the day before Christmas Eve, I went home to watch football, catch the last remaining holiday films of the season and prepare for the holiday bonanza of cheer.

I woke up the next day with a fever, a bad cough and enough fatigue to make me sleep through an entire day of college football contests.

Yes, as I determined after struggling my way through a dreary Christmas with no appetite for all the goodies abounding on the table, I had caught the plague.

On Sunday, I was tested for COVID-19, and after staying home to nurse myself through the fever, coughing and shortness of breath for several days, they called me on Thursday to confirm I had tested positive for the great bugbear of our times.

It wasn’t terribly fun, though very on brand, to end 2020 by struggling to deal with the virus that had shut down the nation for months on end. Now it had shut me down; I slept a great deal, struggled to stay awake to see the accursed year die and transition into the hopefully better 2021 and even had trouble staying awake at times during the Georgia football game on New Year’s Day.

To avoid catching COVID-19 for nine months, pushing blithely through the worst of the pandemic’s early days as I continued to go to work and do my job, only to catch it right when it should almost be over, on the very eve of the vaccine starting to roll out, was quite annoying, let me tell you.

I tend not to catch anything, really, beyond a seasonal cold, aggravated by some allergies of indeterminate origin, but apparently I wouldn’t be allowed to make it through the pandemic without going for a round with the virus myself.

Now, I had a relatively mild case, overall. I never had to be hospitalized or put on oxygen, certainly, and I maintained my sense of smell and taste throughout the ordeal. Many had much worse bouts of COVID, definitely.

But I’m glad to be done with the virus after a dreary holidays. So, let’s get that vaccine out there so I can make sure not to do this ever again.

News Editor

Stephen Milligan is the news editor of The Walton Tribune. He lives in Monroe and is a graduate of the University of Georgia.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.